Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Video Projects

Video Projects 6 months 3 weeks ago #52

• Starrigger
  • Administrator
What good is CG if it is not coupled with some video?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lets Make a camera! Yi Action Camera Mod 6 months 3 weeks ago #53

• Starrigger
  • Administrator
Actually to be more precise let's redesign one already in production...

Without going into too much detail about my selection process for a donor camera this is the one I settled on:

Yi Action Camera (A Tear-Down) Unfortunately, it has been discontinued, but I have still seen them for sale either new or used.

One of the main reasons I decided on this camera was because it was already being hacked as far as firmware was concerned. Video Webpage

I also liked that it has a continuous video feed through the HDMI out jack.

It also has a pretty respected sensor manufactured by Sony. The sensor size puts it at just about the same size as Super8 so I felt I should be able to find some lenses that would provide me with the versatility I was looking for. (Unfortunately, a lot of these lenses are now considered "Vintage" so they aren't as cheap as they once were... along with MFT users who are snapping them up too. People! They will vignette on you, don't buy them!)

Some things to know about lenses and sensor size. For best results the two should match up. Get glass designed to work with the size of your sensor. In my case, A lens designed for 16mm film or 2/3 sensors will look like I'm using a telephoto lens because I'm not using the entire surface of the glass. While getting a lens designed for a smaller sensor like 1/3, might produce vignetting because the larger sensor is reading outside the glass surface. For testing purposes I was able to grab a pretty nice 2/3 native 12.5 - 75mm macro zoom lens for cheap, which would give me a field of view something like what a 25mm lens designed for 1/2 sensor would give me.

Some of my design considerations:
I wanted to be able to use the widest possible selection of lenses. So I felt designing it as a CS mount would accomplish this. From this point I could research possible adapters for the other mount configurations. For instance, M12 and C mount options are still readily available to me.

The Yi as it comes is almost capable of being modded with a M12 to CS lens conversion but it is off by a very small amount. The hobbyist engineer in my came out so I set off to redesign the case completely.

Stay Tuned...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds